Two years ago, we began publishing ratings and reviews for schools on Redfin.com. Today, we take another major stride toward reinventing real estate in the consumer’s favor: Redfin.com visitors can now search for listings by school attendance areas. What’s the big deal? It turns out that schools play a crucial role in real estate. Home buyers rely on school information to decide which neighborhoods to live in, while homeowners retain a higher resale value if their home is served by highly-rated schools.
Redfin agents have experienced this sentiment first hand, advocating for buyers whose primary home-buying goal “is that both (daughters) will have the opportunity to graduate from Newport High School.” Many of our website visitors have also spoken, asking for “a way to limit the house search to certain schools.” We are proud to announce that school attendance areas have been added into our search experience.
Here are some of the key highlights of how “school search” works on Redfin:
- Search by school name (i.e., Garfield High School):
- Type the school name into the “Location” box above the map on Redfin.com. The school’s enrollment boundary will appear on the map, outlined in red. Additional details about the school, including its GreatSchools rating, will be available to the right of the map.
- Click a school icon on the map page:
- To the right of the map, click “Show Attendance Zone” to view the homes for sale inside the school enrollment boundaries.
- Extra Credit: Subscribe to a Redfin Instant Update or Daily Update so you are notified within minutes when a home is listed for sale within a particular school attendance zone.
- Search by school name.
- Click “E-mail me new listings” and choose Daily or Instant alerts.
The first day of school represents the beginning of a new year, when students are given the opportunity to learn and take the next step toward achieving their dreams. The same is true for us at Redfin – we’re excited to share this feature with our customers, and look forward to collaborating with our data providers to ensure that the reliability and coverage of our schools data is as accurate as it can be.
As usual, a big “thank you” goes out to everyone on the team who contributed to this feature and a special shout out to Jamie DeMichele, our Technical Lead, and Llewellyn Botelho, our QA Manager, for taking charge on this feature.
If you find any inaccuracies or have any requests for additional coverage, kindly shoot us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to follow up with every inquiry.