Whether you’re furnishing your first studio apartment or upgrading to a big house in the suburbs, moving is the perfect opportunity to do an inventory of what you own and make a list of things you may be missing or need to replace.
The home editors at Wayfair are here to help. Here are three to 10 home essentials for every room. As you’re packing, keep this list on hand and make notes so you’re ready to shop for the things you need.
As this is one of the most-used spaces in your home, it’s important to be prepped with proper cooking tools and appliances from day one. Here’s what you need:
- Set of sharp knives
- Set of pots and pans (at the very least a medium-size sauce pot and skillet)
- Baking sheets
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowls
- Can opener
- Wooden or plastic cooking utensils
- Trash bin
- Small appliances (toaster, microwave, blender)
Dining Room/Dining Area
What good is cooking the perfect meal if you have nothing to eat it on? Pizza and painting parties are fun, but here are the essential pieces for serving up a delicious homemade meal after your first night on the floor:
- 2-3 serving dishes (platter, large bowl)
- Basic dinnerware set for at least 4 (Start with a simple white set; you can always mix and match with colors later!)
- Cutlery set for at least 12 (Forks, knives and spoons get used for cooking and eating, so having extra on hand is always important.)
- Mugs (Perfect for hot beverages and soups!)
- A selection of glasses (juice glasses and wine glasses)
Missing anything or need to refresh? Wayfair sells tableware for every style and budget.
Moving can be stressful! Spend a little extra time on moving day to make your sleeping space comfortable and pretty. It will help you unwind and relax during the first few weeks in your new home. Get ready for your move with Wayfair’s wide selection of bedding.
- Bedding (pillows, 2 sheet sets, blanket or duvet)
- Bedside lamp
- Full-length mirror
- Hangers for clothes
- Décor (wall art for above the bed, framed personal photos, colorful accent pillows for the bed)
Once you’re moved in, this will likely become the most popular area of your home. Don’t worry if your living room isn’t completely finished right after move-in; we recommend taking your time with design, layout and furniture choices in this room. Visit Wayfair.com for living room layout and decorating ideas!
- Coffee table (Look for a coffee table with shelves or storage to help organize your space.)
- Area rug (for living rooms with hardwood flooring)
- Lighting (table lamps or floor lamp)
- End tables
- Décor (throw pillows, curtains, wall art, etc.)
You’ll need to access to your bathroom from day one, so make sure you’re stocked with must-haves such as toilet paper, tissues, hand soap and toothpaste. With those basics and the items below, you’ll have everything you need!
- Towels (bath towels, hand towels, face cloth)
- Shower curtain and curtain hanging rings (depending on setup)
- Bath mat
- Hamper or tall laundry basket
Wayfair is the online destination for all things home, helping shoppers find the perfect product at the right price. Wayfair’s Idea Lounge is a hub for inspiration for everything from backyard barbecues to relaxing spa bathrooms.
Note: This is a guest post; the views and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of Redfin.