This may be your dream house. This is definitely a house I am telling my friends about. It is a traditional, solidly built, 3-bed/2.5 bath colonial, on a FLAT corner lot in wonderful Woodacres, Bethesda. If you know this area, you know how rare a flat lot is. You also know how sought-after Woodacres is, especially for families with elementary-school-age children. The house is for sale by the owner, who is asking $815,000.
My impression is that it is a better-than-average house for the area (may need some decorative updates inside – not sure.) Here’s the skinny, based on what I saw outside and my conversation with the owner. It’s more info than you’ll get on the MLS listing. Unfortunately, there are no interior photos there. Details:
- close to Massachusetts Ave bus line to Metro/downtown
- a few blocks from large park, playground, tennis
-”largest family room in the neighborhood” with French doors to 900 sqft patio
- fireplace and built-ins in living room
- dining room access to screen porch (if you’re a newcomer to Washington, trust me, you need it)
- more closet space than is typical for an original Woodacres home – on main and upstairs
- standard Woodacres kitchen, with upgraded appliances (2 years old)
- pedestal sink in one bathroom
- 2-year-old washer/dryer
- unfinished basement but it is painted
- small triangle green space/park in front of the house
- if you have small children, the sidewalk on Massachusetts Ave nearby provides a place to walk with a stroller or small tricycle. Most other parts of the neighborhood do not have sidewalks, which people there don’t seem to mind but it is my only pet peeve.
- immediate occupancy
Woodacres is a close-knit neighborhood full of families, many of whom send their children to the respected Woodacres public elementary school. The owner tells me that outside his front door is the start of all the local parades: 4th of July, Hallowe’en, Christmas. Sounds like a lot of fun.
The area is nestled between River Rd and Massachusetts Ave, east of Goldsboro Rd, with easy access to the shops at Westbard and Ridgefield Avenues (Giant, Rite-Aid, Starbucks, American Plant, Whole Foods, Ledo’s, International School of Music, Strike Bethesda (bowling), etc., etc., etc.)
Unfortunately the house is not open today, although a few others in the area are, listed below. There is a lock-box on the house if you have a realtor, or you can call the very congenial owner at 301-602-9820 to make an appointment.
Other open houses nearby, for today:
6001 GLOSTER RD – 3 Bed/3.5 Bath Colonial – $875,000. Open 1-4 pm.
6103 CROMWELL DR – 3 Bed/2.5 Bath Colonial – $839,000. Open 1-4 pm.
6309 MASSACHUSETTS AVE – 3 Bed/2.5 Bath Colonial- $735,000. Open 1-4.
1 BUTTONWOOD LN - 4 Bed/4.5 Bath Contemporary – $880,000. Open 1-4 pm.