Open House Dates and Times:
Sunday, May 3, 1 – 4 p.m.
Coffee Shop of Choice:
Mayorga Coffee Factory for a long afternoon of sipping coffee – or numerous nearby Starbucks locations for a quick pick-me-up.
Favorite Restaurant in the Area:
Too many to count! This area is a foodie’s paradise.
- CakeLove Bakery: Cupcakes are so delicious!
- Crisfield Seafood Restaurant: Simple restaurant, excellent food.
- Lebanese Taverna: Fantastic Middle Eastern food, and catering service is great too!
- Piratz Tavern: Fantastic steaks and grog. Staff takes the theme all the way – kids love it!
- The Chicken Place: Excellent Peruvian food, nice atmosphere for taking friends, friendly owners and staff.
- Cristina’s: Fantastic Italian very close by. Feels like an NYC restaurant.
- Irene’s Pupusas: A simple restaurant, specializing in a DC favorite.
- Marchone’s Italian Deli: Best sandwiches around – they bring in Amoroso’s rolls from Philadelphia! Owner is a sweetheart, and zepolle in the spring is amazing.
- Max’s Kosher Cafe: Falafel is fantastic!
- Moby Dick Seafood and Sushi: Quiet restaurant, excellent cuts of sushi.
Aspen Hill/Colesville/Misc. Favorites
- Azucar Restaurant: Spanish and Latin American cuisine. Very nice dining room, friendly with kids (and they participate in UPromise).
- The Bagelry: Fresh, delicious bagels and cream cheese. Deli sandwiches are also good.
- Bombay Indian: Fantastic Indian food, not too expensive.
- Greek Village Restaurant: Very close, friendly staff, amazing mousaka.
- Ledo’s Pizza: Great local chain, family-friendly dining room nearby.
- Sol d’Italia: Nice place for a weekend pizza or simple Italian, head out to the Ashton location for a nice country drive.
- Stained Glass Pub: Local favorite, good pizza and beer.
Favorite Places to Go:
- Brookside Gardens and Wheaton Regional Park – a local treasure, accessible by path in our neighborhood
- Downtown DC to visit the Smithsonian, the monuments, and the Tidal Basin (accessible by Metro, with a Red Line stop less than a mile and a half from our house).
- Baltimore – not very far, and with local roads you can even avoid most I-95 traffic to get there.
- Daedalus Books Warehouse Outlet – a fun book-browse with fantastic prices in Columbia, MD.
Best Features of the Home:
The floorplan is fantastic for living and entertaining. A traditional center-hall colonial, we have a good balance of formal spaces and casual family space. We also have a ton of room – bedrooms are sizeable, esp. the master suite, as are the living areas. The yard is quite large for the Silver Spring area and we have off-street parking and a garage. The neighborhood is well-established with lovely older trees and great gardens. A friendly neighborhood with a voluntary neighborhood association (yearly dues $25) that hosts special social and informational events.
The family area on the back of the first floor. The area features an open kitchen linked to a family room, with a breakfast nook in the middle, making it possible to make dinner and still be part of the family activities. The family room has a wood-burning fireplace and a double-open French door leading to the deck outside. A desk between the kitchen and breakfast nook is a wonderful craft area/ children’s desk /bill-paying station. Windows look at a beautiful large tree and a kids’ playset.
We have introduced a more natural color palette to the house through numerous painting projects (living room, dining room, 1st floor hall bath, 2nd floor hall bath, office/guest room, and nursery). In the 1st floor hall bath we also added ceramic floor tiles. In the 2nd floor hall bath we added new lighting, new vinyl tiles, new towel rods and a hotel-style shower curtain rod. We’ve installed new curtain hardware in the living room, master bedroom, and both kids’ rooms. We’ve re-mediated a minor radon problem (levels previously at 7; transferrable warranty on the radon system) and begun peg-boarding a wall for a workbench in the garage. We’ve done some minor landscape projects, including a new mailbox.
Most Romantic Spot in the Home or Neighborhood
Brookside Gardens, with its beautiful floral displays, lovely verandas, and great paths where you regularly see brides and grooms getting their formal portraits, families looking for turtles, and old couples strolling hand-in-hand. It is a sought-after wedding venue. Easily accessed from our neighborhood (you can leave your car at home!) the garden has many paths and hideaways to sit and relax, and the gift shop is a fun place to spend the dough you saved on the free admission to the gardens. There are several garden areas, including an azalea garden, rose garden, formal garden, and Japanese garden, as well as a conservatory that features rotating seasonal exhibits.
What’s in the neighborhood?:
In addition to Brookside Gardens, our development is quite close to the impressive Wheaton Regional Park, including popular Shorefield Park (including one of the best playgrounds in the DC area), an ice-skating rink, a dog park, nature center, and there is a lovely horse pasture adjacent to the Old Randolph entrance to our neighborhood. You can see the horses grazing, and occasionally a family of deer, as you enter the neighborhood from the Kemp Mill direction.
What you will miss most:
We will miss the house itself – the size and layout were perfect for us. However, we will have the hardest time finding another neighborhood like this, so close to the action in DC and downtown Silver Spring, yet removed just enough to provide some space and such beautiful natural surroundings. We love the community with its friendly local establishments (what wonderful food!) and will miss the people of this area.